License Applications Accepted: 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM
Office Hours: 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM
Monday through Friday (Closed weekends and State Holidays)
TO CONTACT US CALL: 410-222-1434
The License Department is located in the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County, Room H101 (directly behind security). The Circuit Court is located in historic Annapolis on Church Circle. Parking meters are located on Calvert Street and West Street. Parking garages are located on Calvert Street, Northwest Street and Main Street.
For your convenience, we are now accepting business applications online. Please visit www.mdcourts.gov/license. Your web browser must accept cookies to use this option. Please use the back arrow key to return to this page. (Pop Up's must be permitted to accurately view these pages. Or you may hold "Ctrl" and click on the link.)
Obtaining a traders or construction license in person requires a minimum of one hour to complete and a visit to two other state and county offices that are a short walking distance form the Clerk's Office. Applicants must arrive prior to 3:30 PM to ensure sufficient time is available to complete the process. If you prefer, you can also download the application and mail it in. Please read all of the instructions below and use the link below to download the application.
2013 Business License Renewals
Notice: We are experiencing a significant delay in receiving renewal applications from the Comptrollers' Office. Once the applications are released, we will print and mail out the renewal notice. We anticipate that all of the notices will be mailed out by Monday, March 25. We regret any inconvenience this delay is causing.
Traders & Construction License Requirements
The License Department at the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County issues state of Maryland Traders License for businesses located in Anne Arundel County. The license can be obtained by mail, online or you may apply in person between the hours of 8:30 - 3:30 Monday through Friday.
You may download the License application and fill it out prior to arrival.
Persons Required to Obtain a Traders License
- A person or business organization other than a grower, maker or manufacturer may not offer for sale, sell or otherwise dispose of any goods within Maryland, without first obtaining a license from the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
- A private individual may conduct a public sale of personal effects on his or her own property without a license, provided that no more than one sale is conducted for a period not to exceed 14 consecutive days in any one calendar year.
- An exhibitor who displays and sells goods at a show is not required to obtain any license if the show is promoted by:
- a church
- any government agency or unit
- an amateur radio organization
- an antique vehicle, machine and equipment organization
- a volunteer fire department or rescue squad
- a model train collectors’ association
The traders license fee is based on the wholesale value of your retail inventory. The license year runs from May 1st through the following April 30th.
Persons Required to Obtain a Construction License
Any person or business organization must obtain a construction license from the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County on an annual basis for NEW CONSTRUCTION only. Call 410-222-1434 for details as this is not a home improvement license.
The license year runs from May 1st through the following April 30th.
A contractor or subcontractor who holds a license under the Maryland Home Improvement Law is NOT required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
For additional information write or visit:
License Department at the Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County
8 Church Circle
Annapolis, Maryland 21401
You may also call our office at 410-222-1434.
Credit Cards are not accepted for business licenses.